Friday, October 17, 2008

Corn, anyone?

Well, since I last updated, I moved in with my family. I must admit, when the van drove away without me on Monday, I had to fight back the tears, but my host sister/roommate, Karla, sat on my bad and talked with me for awhile, and I immediately started to feel better. Then she showed me all around San Juan Ostancalco, which is pretty small. We met up with some of her friends and they planned out my whole week (Xela, the zoo, hiking, etc). My host brother, Ishmeal, who is five, is my new best friend. He is constantly showing up in my room offering to help me learn Spanish.
Sara, the oldest sister, took me to her youth group at the church. It was almost like being back at WCF, except that everyone spoke Mam and I had no idea what was going on. But they were very welcoming to me and i look forward to getting to know them.
On my second day in San Juan, I was reading in the living room when my host mom walked in with a huge sack of corn. She asked if i wanted to help, of course! SO she and I and a few other members of the family sat around the kitchen table peeling corn. I wasnt very good at it. After it was all peeled, we removed all the kernells (how do you spell that word?) one by one. I was better at that. This operation took a little over an hour. Then we boiled and mashed about a third of the corn into a liquid, and added 1/2 lb of sugar. This family is serious about sugar. This mixture is called atol de elote (corn drink). Then we made tomales (corn, sugar, margerine, and eggs). Then we made tortillas (corn and water). My host mother explained that in Guatemala, a woman who cant make tortillas will never get married. Good thing Im not Guatemalan, because my tortillas were the joke of the day. The last bit of corn we cooked by itself (unmashed).
Then came lunchtime. I was served AN ENORMOUS BOWL OF LIQUID CORN! To which I was told to add my cooked corn! THats right, corn in my sugar corn. I am currently in a corn coma. At least four normal bowls could have fit in this one. Oh, and tortillas.
Yesterday I visited the women`s group at the church, they were also very welcoming, but im not sure what I am supposed to be doing there. I think that may be a theme for this year, being unsure. Also, yesterday, I experienced my first tremblor (mini earthquake). It wasnt dangerous, just strange. It felt like I was sitting on a trampoline.
Ok, top and bottom 3 things about Guatemala right now:
Bottom 3
1. It is FREEZING and there is no heat. I wear all of my clothes all the time.
2. Our shower has only hot water, it`s kind of like being tortured. I go as long as I can between showers. I think it´s creeping out my new family.
3. Im missing Halloween! I love Halloween, please send pumpkin candy corn and other treats (to share, of course)
Top 3
1. MY FAMILY! The sisters are so nice to me, the mom is really spunky, the older brothers are sweet and the 5 year old is adorable!
2. Helping my host mom in the kitchen. That is the part of the day when I laugh the most and feel most at home. Even though I have no idea what I am doing.
3. The sense of community here is really beautiful. Everyone knows everyone, everyone takes care of everyone. It`s a very different feel from the United States.
I start work at CEIPA on Monday, wish me luck, I miss all of you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved being in the Kitchen in Kenya-- that was when I began to feel at home as well! There is something amazing about getting to help with the normal day to day activities of life, especially with other women! I fully expect tortilla-making lessons when you get home.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are having a good time. Hearing about your experience in the kitchen makes me laugh :) i love corn, but i dont know about a corn drink. i want tortilla lessons when you get home too!! lets have a tortilla making PARTY!